In this short guide, we will cover what you will need to do in order to backup the data on your MacBook to an external drive and transfer that data to the new drive that you install in your machine.
What you will need
To transfer data from your old SSD to your new SSD, you need:
- 1 External Drive
- 1 Personal old drive
- 1 new drive (if you need one, check out our Feather SSD!)
- Make sure your old drive is in your machine
- Plug in the external hard drive
- Launch Time Machine (in Applications), select the external drive as the backup disk
- Choose "Back Up Now" and wait for the backup to finish
- Replace your old drive and physically install your new drive in your machine (if you need help on this, check out our short guide here)
- Power on the Mac, pressing Option until the chimes are heard
- Select "Restore from Time Machine Backup" and follow the on-screen steps, or use Migration Assistant located in Applications if you have already set up your computer
*Note: if you are installing our M13 Feather SSD, it uses NVMe SSD technology, which is supported by MacOS High Sierra and beyond (Mojave), but is not supported by MacOS versions below High Sierra. Please do not attempt to erase your M13 Feather SSD and restore to an older version of MacOS.