In this short, one-minute guide, we will cover what you will need to do in order to physically remove your current SSD and install a new drive in your MacBook.
These instructions are tested for the following Apple devices:
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro
What you will need
For MacBook Installation, you will need the following:
- 1 new SSD (if you need one, check out our Feather SSD!)
- 1 T5 Screwdriver
- 1 P5 Screwdriver
- Using the P5 screwdriver, remove all of the screws off the back of the MacBook. There will be two screws from next to the black hinge that are either longer than the rest (MacBook Air) or shorter (MacBook Pro). Keep track of these.
- Check that all screws are removed.
- Pop off the back panel of the MacBook, starting right next to the hinge.
- Use the T5 screwdriver to remove the screw holding the SSD in place.
- Swap out the old SSD for the new SSD, then follow steps 1-4 in reverse to put the Mac back together.