Shell Thunder Support
Checking Your Firmware
Always check for firmware updates for your SSD! Manufacturers push updates all the time.
Samsung SSD users, please make sure you update your firmware before using it in Thunder using this link. Otherwise your SSD will not be recognized by your operating system.
- Install your SSD:
- Use a philip’s head screwdriver to remove the four screws on the lid.
- Insert your SSD into the M.2 slot.
- Use the included mounting screw to secure your SSD.
- Replace the lid and replace the four screws.
- Plug your Shell Thunder into your machine.
- Find the formatting instructions for your machine.
- Open Disk Utility by first going to your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder.
- Or use Spotlight (COMMAND + SPACE) to find the Utilities application.
- Type in “Disk Utility.” Press RETURN (ENTER).
- Select the Fledging Shell Thunder Media and click Erase.
- Choose the name for your new Shell. If you will only use Shell Thunder with Mac, keep the default format. If you want to support Windows, change the format to ExFAT.
- Right click the Windows Icon.
- Click Disk Management.
- Right click on the drive labelled “Not Initialized” and “Unknown”.
- Select “Initialize Disk”.
- Set the “Partition Style” to Master Boot Record for drives less than 2TB.
- Use GUID Partition Table for drives 2TB or larger.
- Click “OK”.
- Right-click the “Unallocated space”, and select the “New Simply Value” option.
- Click “Next” on the next 3 prompts.
- Set the “File system” to NTFS.
- Set “Value label” to the name you want for your new Shell Thunder.
- Check “Perform a quick format”.
- Uncheck “Enable file and folder compression”.
- Click “Next”.
- Click “Finish”.
Please note that Shell Thunder only fits Thunderbolt 3 ports. It is not compatible with USB-C or USB 2.0. Our Feather SSD product line is not compatible with Shell Thunder.
Why do I need thermal pad?
Thermal pad helps to reduce the temperature on your SSD during operation (by at
least 15C, depends on SSD you use) and increase your SSD’s longevity.
How to apply it?
- Peel one side of plastic cover.
- Carefully apply the pad’s sticky side covering SSD’s controller chip, see pictures below.
- Peel off the remaining plastic cover.
- Follow the rest of Thunder Installation Guide.
Note: Controller is the brain of an SSD and it’s the hottest place, therefore it needs cooling.
Each SSD looks different, but the controller is always the big chip near the connection pins
Note: If you re-open the Thunder’s cover after thermal pad is applied, the cover may appear
to be sticky from the bottom, please use caution. The thermal pad may also stick itself to
the cover after you re-open it, this is totally okay. Thermal pad works as long as it has contact
between the hottest place on the SSD (Controller) and the cover.
M10 & M12
Don’t see your question here? Just want to say hi? Please email us at email@example.com and someone from our customer success team will get back to you.
Return and Warranty Policy
For all Customers Please contact us directly with any return, replacement, and warranty requests
Warranty stickers are placed on all drives. Removing or tampering with this sticker will void both the warranty and the 30-day no-fault return policyPlease read the sections below regarding to domestic (U.S.) and international customers for more information
For U.S. Customers
Domestic returns initiated within 30 days will receive free return shipping.
Domestic returns initiated after 30 days, but within 60 days will receive free return shipping, but are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
For International Customers
We do not offer free return shipping to international customers at this time.
International returns initiated within 60 days are subject to a 10% restocking fee
We are not equipped to print return shipping labels for orders outside the U.S. International customers requesting returns are responsible for arranging return shipping
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiries about wholesale purchasing.
Work for Fledging
We are always growing our team and looking for hard-working people to join us. If you are interested in working with us at Fledging, please check out our Career Page. You can send inquiries about open positions to us at email@example.com.
Don’t see a position that’s a good fit for you? Feel free to send us your contact information and resume for consideration for future openings.