- Install your SSD: (see diagram below)
- Use a philip’s head screwdriver to remove the four screws on the lid.
- Insert your SSD into the M.2 slot.
- Use the included mounting screw to secure your SSD.
- Replace the lid and replace the four screws.
- Plug your Fledging Shell into your machine.
- Find the formatting instructions for your machine.
- Open Disk Utility by first going to your Applications folder, then the Utilities folder.
- Or use Spotlight (COMMAND + SPACE) to find the Utilities application.
- Type in “Disk Utility.” Press RETURN (ENTER).
- Select the Fledging Shell Media and click Erase.
- Choose the name for your new Shell. If you will only use Shell with Mac, keep the default format. If you want to support Windows, change the format to ExFAT.
- Right click the Windows Icon.
- Click Disk Management.
- Right click on the drive labelled “Not Initialized” and “Unknown”.
- Select “Initialize Disk”.
- Set the “Partition Style” to Master Boot Record for drives less than 2TB.
- Use GUID Partition Table for drives 2TB or larger.
- Click “OK”.
- Right-click the “Unallocated space”, and select the “New Simply Value” option.
- Click “Next” on the next 3 prompts.
- Set the “File system” to NTFS.
- Set “Value label” to the name you want for your new Shell.
- Check “Perform a quick format”.
- Uncheck “Enable file and folder compression”.
- Click “Next”.
- Click “Finish”.
Fledging Shell is compatible with any device with a USB 2.0 to USB 3.1 port. This includes:
- Personal Computers
- Apple Computers
- Smart Phones
- Smart TVs
- Gaming Consoles
- And more!
Please note that you will receive slower speeds on a device when using a USB 2.0 port. This is a limitation of the port, not Shell itself.
Our Feather SSD product line is not compatible with Shell.
If you hear a faint noise coming from your Shell, don’t worry, that’s just Shell’s active cooling solution hard at work. Excessive heat can cause irreversible damage to your SSD, so Shell work’s hard to protect your data.. With active-cooling you can fully utilize your SSD, and your Shell will stay cool to the touch.